Cowl-necked Knit Top
I've been on a two week sewing/blogging break. I decided that after eight years of owning my sewing machine, that it was well and truly overdue for it's first service. In fact, from memory, I think the first service was supposed to be free and come with a free lesson. I think I missed the boat on that one. Actually, I definitely missed the boat as the store no longer exists. Oh well.
Despite having no machine, the past two weeks have been extremely productive. I have carefully sorted and edited 11,500 digital family photos taken over the past seven years. Worthwhile? Definitely! Rewarding? Kind of! Mind-numbingly painful and tedious? You betcha! Thank goodness that's over and I can sew once again.
I decided to kick off with another version of my cowl-necked knit top. First made here. I originally took this pattern from a RTW top I owned. This time, I made it up using an Eileen Fisher rayon/lycra knit I bought from Emma One Sock.
I used self-binding strips to finish the armholes. I'm not completely happy with the finish but it's OK and definitely wearable. I cut the strips a little shorter than the armhole, which I don't think was really ideal. Stretching the binding to fit, has caused puckering.
On this version, I added a hemband. I've recently decided these are the way to go. The hemband allows things to have a looser fit, while avoiding the 'oversized shirt look' or the 'tucked-in look'. A nice compromise I think.
Back viewNext time, I'll have to shorten the back before adding the hemband as there is a bit of excess fabric pooling at the lower back.
The verdict - A nice casual addition to my wardrobe. Comfy and easy to wear.
I've had a bit of interest shown in this collar from my first version. Last week I drew up a neat version of the pattern and intend to scan it and upload it as a PDF file to share. It should be up by early next week (assuming of course my technologically-challenged mind can work out how to actually do that). Fingers crossed!