This dress has been a long time coming. It's been sitting in the sewing room gathering dust for months and months because I never made the time to add the more tedious, yet necessary finishing touches. This dress has been waiting patiently for me to sew the tie and add the belt loops. Both of which are a little uninspiring. But I know you all understand. I'm trying however, to stay on top of my UFOs and get them finished before embarking on new stuff.
This is the second time I've made up Burda 8836. The first one is here. It was the first version that alerted me to the importance of making up toiles/muslins. The fit was a disaster. My sister and I did lots of dodgy things to try and make it work. But it was always dodgy and not very wearable. Thus, I've never looked back. Now I always make a toile first. With my body shape this is merely a fact of sewing life. If I want it to fit, I have to toile it up first. One of the fabulous things about having a teacher help with my toiles is that not only do I get a good fit, but I'm also starting to see a bit of a pattern with the adjustments which is really quite handy. Now I know what to look for when I'm flying solo.
I really like the flounce on the neckline of this dress. You may have noticed that I'm a bit of a fan of flounces. This version is made using a 100% cotton seersucker purchased from The Fabric Store in Melbourne. I've lined it in a red cotton voile from Spotlight.
- back view -
- side view -IN SEWING NEWS
I am currently working on:
- A one-shoulder dress in a silk twill by Milly. This will be my 'festive' season party dress.
- A vogue beach tunic ready for my island holiday in 10 days time.
- A bunch of pencil rolls for kids birthday presents.