Farmers Market Bag
By Melly and Me
This bag was the other reason why I didn't complete my UFOs over the Easter school holiday break. My sister Katherine, gave me this pattern during our camping trip over the Easter weekend as a belated birthday present. What a great distraction from my frustrating and challenging UFOs. Really, it was just what I needed.
Apart from the handle rings, I sewed this entire bag from scraps and odd buttons in my stash. The main part of the bag is made from some Ikea fabric I bought 18 months ago. It's a heavy weight decor fabric so holds the shape really well. The rest of it is made from quilting cotton leftover from other projects. The main button is a groovy vintage button I took off a bookmark my daughter had made at kindy a few years ago. I'm not sure where her kindy teacher sourced her buttons, but many of them were very cool indeed.
I had trouble sourcing appropriate rings for the handles at the local sewing shops. In the end, I cut them off a bag I bought at the op-shop. They're really robust and much better than anything else I'd come across.
Detail shot of front.
Although I've done a little bit of craft sewing and made a few bags, I don't generally consider myself a craft sewer. As my regular readers would know, I live in the tropics and that means mould central! Any attempts I've made in the past of sewing nice cushions covers and other lovely looking non-wearable items, have ended up ruined by unsightly black mould stains after a summer. It just isn't worth the expense or time. Ultimately, it always ends in disappointment....ALWAYS. As a result, I don't tend to own items on the list of pattern requirements like Parlan, Vilene and bag batting. Therefore, this bag contains none of those things. Instead, I used interfacing I had on hand and ignored all instructions involving batting and quilting. I've mostly likely ended up with a floppier bag, but that's OK.
A photo of the other side.
Here is a detail shot of the inner of the bag. The instructions called for template plastic to be used as an insert in the base. Due to the fact I'm not generally a craft sewer, I have no idea what that is. I used a bit of matt board leftover from some framing. Sure, it ain't waterproof, but I'll deal with that on a needs basis I think. Maybe I'll just keep my eye out for a scrap of appropriate plastic.
I didn't follow the instructions for the inside pockets but instead stuck to my general formula of one large zippered pocket and a small phone pouch. This combo seems to work for me.
I'm still not sure what I'll use this bag for. I'm yet to road test it. I'm thinking it could be well suited to family outings. Hmmmm, I could take it on our usual family outing to the produce markets tomorrow...after all it is called the Farmers Market Bag.
Enjoy your weekend.