Sunday, June 14, 2015

Mini Capsule Wardrobe



Hi there! It's been a long time hasn't it? Today I am sharing something I been working on over the past two and a bit weeks. It all started out with a basic plan. I wanted to sew a few new things to coincide with the slightly cooler weather. I was keen to make two pairs of long pants, in mid-weight fabric. Anything heavier is generally too warm by 10am when you live in the tropics. 
Here's what I had in mind:

- Wide-legged pants in black linen with a bit of a 'Japanese' feel to them.
- Slim-legged pegged pants in tencel to wear as an alternative to jeans.
- A new top. Just for fun. Just because. I wanted something simple yet a bit groovy, in that arty/gorman/autumny/Japanesey kinda way. I was thinking a woven-tee.

Next, I sourced these three pieces of fabric:

A. 1.5m Nani Iro Double Gauze from Miss Matatabi
B. 2.5m Black Linen from Tessuti
C. 2.5m Light denim tencel from Emma One Sock

After cutting out and sewing up the black pants and the mustard top, I got seriously nerdy. Here's what happened....

It was a long weekend and it was raining, so I was watching Harry Potter with the kids, while cutting out the denim tencel pants. As most of you would probably know, it's a pretty long movie. Add a few pauses while kids get drinks, go off the toilet, grab a snack, etc, then it's an even longer movie. Anyhow, when I'd finished cutting out the pants, there was still plenty of fabric left (and movie) so I decided to use up the leftovers and cut out a skirt. Well, by the time I'd finished doing that, I decided I still had enough tencel, Nani Iro double-gauze and movie to piece together a woven tank top. By the time I'd done that, Harry had still not managed to get hold of the philospher's stone, so I emptied the bag of black linen scraps sitting beside me and pieced them together to make a simple sleeveless top. Done. Nothing but a pathetic pile of scraps left on the carpet. So, I have Voldemort and his evil master plan to thank for turning three garments, magically, into six and thus creating my mini Winter capsule wardrobe.

I've written a little about each garment below. Nothing much. Just a few dot points. One interesting thing to point out though, is I used the same yoke on both pairs of pants and the skirt. I have used this particular yoke pattern for heaps of garments. I think a well-fitted yoke just makes easy work of so many projects. It's definitely a must-have item. 

I learned a few new pants-fitting techniques when I was making the toile for both pairs of pants. I actually made these up simultaneously. One leg was wide and the other slim. Easy-peezy and saved on calico. Anyway, I hope to share my fitting tips with you all one day. I think this post probably has enough going on already. Six garments in the one post is probably a bit ridiculous, but then again, who knows when I'll get around to blogging again. It's a long time between drinks these days!

1. Black Linen Pants
- Base pattern: Vogue 1143 (what a great pattern!)
- Pants were toiled and alterations made.
- Used previously toiled flat, curved yoke instead of waistband and zipper.
- Elasticised at back. Double casing of elastic.
- Added belt loops.
- Eyeballed pocket line.
- Added belt tie.





2. Denim Tencel Pants
- Base pattern: Vogue 1143 and Witchery RTW pants.
- Pants were toiled and alterations made.
- Used previously toiled flat, curved yoke instead of waistband and zipper.
- Elasticised at back. Double casing of elastic.
- Eyeballed pocket line.
- Yet to be hemmed....I plan on throwing them in the wash a few times first to allow for shrinkage through the length. I've already pre-washed and dried the fabric twice and thrown them in the wash once. My sister had a nightmare experience with shrinking tencel pants so I'm not taking any risks.





3. Denim Tencel Skirt
- Base pattern: JAG RTW skirt
- Used previously toiled flat, curved yoke instead of waistband and zipper.
- Curved hemline at sides.
- Elasticised at back. Double casing of elastic.




4. Nani Iro Woven Tee
- Base pattern: Country Road RTW top, previously toiled/sewn (here)
- Curved hemline at sides.
- LOVE the silver dots and circles!




5. Woven Tank
- Base Pattern: Grainline Tank, previously toiled/sewn (here)
- Contrast inspired by LBH Polly Tank
- Curved hemline at sides.






6. Black Woven Top
- Base Pattern: Simplicity 2406, previously toiled/sewn (here)
- Curved hemline at sides.




Hopefully, I'll get some photos of me wearing them over the week. Given my blog-slackness of late, I felt it was best to just get photos up. The sun was going down and my photographer was under pressure to get the chicken-run finished before nightfall. 

For those interested, the total cost of these three garments, including postage came to just under $200. Not bad!

11 comments:

  1. Well that was a great movie! How did you find the Nani Iro Gauze? I have a piece that I have not used. I was wondering if the double layer makes it a hot fabric to wear?? I have that Vogue pants pattern but have not tried it. I like the idea of changing to a curved waistband This mini capsule should make it quick to get dressed each day. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worn the top once and it wasn't too warm at all. I suspected it could have been too. In reality, it just felt all soft, comfy and cosy.

      Delete
  2. You're so much more productive during Harry Potter movies than I am - I get sucked in and end up on the couch with the kids and the popcorn! It's a really cool capsule and I'm really liking the look of the waistband/yoke you've used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. It was party your 'long weekend sewing plan' that pushed me this far. I was super impressed you were heading in with a plan to get three garments done!

      Delete
  3. Bet it feels satisfying knocking over so many garments! Lovely work. I love the double gauze designs of Nani Iro. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the capsule, that Nani Iro is divine! Am also loving the repeating waist ties and general relaxed style, a fabulously productive bit of movie magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so fantastic!! Good to know about that vogue pattern, too. I really like the look of those black linen pants. Also, denim tencel sounds awesome. You may not have started with a plan but you ended up with something that works so well together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very nice-looking trouser pattern. Those black linen trousers remind me of a pair I got from an op-shop and later saw in Portmans for an eye-popping cost. Very very nice.
    I like the pieced top. I've been pinning pieced stuff for ages and want to make one. I'll be inspired by yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really stylish wardrobe! I like colors that you have used! Fabric is also awesome!

    ReplyDelete