So here we have the first pair of trousers I've ever sewn. After seeing these photos, I've decided they are a work in progress and will have to return to the sewing room. I initially ordered this fabric from Emma One Sock to sew a pair of jeans. On a arrival, however, I discovered the fabric had more stretch then I was wanting, so decided to make a pair of trousers instead. I'm not actually a big fan of stretch fabric for my bottoms halves - sure they're comfy, but not as flattering. Either way, I felt that trousers would be a better option than jeans.
I was actually aiming for something a bit chic like that seen in the photo below. Sadly, I haven't quite hit the mark.
I decided to try Burda 8087. I realise the above photo is a boot-cut and the photo below wide-leg however I was happy with either looks. I really like wide-legged pants and was happy to channel the look on the pattern cover.
Well, the legs on the pants ended up RIDICULOUSLY ENORMOUS. Instead of channelling chic, I was channelling elephant girl. I have already removed a considerable amount of width from the legs both at the inner-seam and the side seam. Despite this, they are still heavy and shapeless. I also think they are making my thighs look wider than they are. I think I'll take them in through the thigh and see if that helps.
I am also getting some creasing around the crotch area. (That said, on closer inspection of the RTW trousers above, there is also creasing - am I being too hard on myself?) The crotch area is also sitting a tad low. I think I'll have a go at fixing this up as well.
Here is a shot of the welt pockets. Sadly, I forgot to baste the upper and lower sections together before adding the pocket bag. Consequently, they are quite open. Let's just call it a design feature. That aside, I followed a fabulous tutorial by The Fashion Incubator for creating the welt in the first place. She recommends making a simple paper jig to assist with the construction of the welt. It really was worth it and made the construction easy and precise.
As you can see, I struggled a but with the stretch in the fabric. It was hard to make seams sit flat as can be seen where the waistband meets the legs.
Due to the stretch of the denim, I faced the waistband with cotton lawn. I also felt I needed a waist-stay so sewed in a length of grosgrain ribbon between the waistband and facing.
I don't actually think the side view looks too bad.
Overall, they're comfortable and stay up (which is a blessing, as much of what I wear constantly slips down). I will however have to play around with the shape of the legs if I'm going to be rally happy with them.