- front -
Well, these photos aren't exactly of me lunching, but standing on the beach opposite where I had lunch. Today I spent a few glorious hours with some girlfriends lunching at Palm Cove (ahhhh the tropics!) The gathering was to celebrate a friend's birthday, and let's face it, there's nothing like a special date on the calendar to motivate me to get a garment finished.
Here is me in my Lonsdale dress by Sewaholic. It's made using a lovely French cotton/silk voile purchased on Emma One Sock during the Christmas break. The fabric is very light and very airy. Which is perfect as the weather is absolutely, unrelentingly stinkin' up here at the moment.
- back -
- front bodice -
- full length back -
Rather than just share descriptions and images of my finished product, I've decided to put a bit more effort into sharing my alterations. I always find it interesting reading about other's alterations so I thought it was high time I gave it a bit of a go. I've even included some photos...woohoo!
I began by making up a toile using an old white doona cover picked up at an op-shop for $1. My sewing teacher encourages her students to begin by making up a toile of garment out of calico (I prefer something cheaper such as doona covers). The toile only includes the basic pieces. All additional bits such as ruffles, hems etc are omitted. I then make all alterations to the toile. All the alterations are recorded on one side only of the toile. The other half (unless of course the garment is not symmetrical) is later discarded. I often use these discards to cut out smaller pieces of future toiles.
Once fitting is complete, changes made and markings added, the toile is then deconstructed. This toile then becomes my pattern. From this point, I no longer use the pattern paper, unless of course I need to cross reference something. I store my toiles in ziplock bags with the original pattern. That way, if I reuse the pattern at a later date, I jump straight into cutting my fashion fabric, confident there will be no fitting issues.
So here's what I did with the Lonsdale:
Alterations - Bodice Front:
I shortened the bodice front at the side seams, tapering towards the centre.
There was a lot of gaping along the upper edge near my shoulder. I eliminated this gaping by removing a dart-shaped piece from this area.
Alterations - Bodice Back:
This photo shows the new bodice piece on top of the original pattern piece. As you can see, I removed fabric from the CB, tapering down to my waist. I also did a sway-back adjustment.
After making these alterations to my muslin, I iron them flat, effectively changing the shape of the pattern piece. I then cut my fashion fabric from this new piece.
As the fabric is sheer, I lined the skirt in white cotton voile purchased from Spotlight.
I also had to add approx. 7cm to the waistband. This wasn't actually an alteration, but more an error to the original pattern.
Overall, I'm happy with how this dress turned out. I was doubtful whether the style would suit my body shape (you know with my wide hips and all) but it has turned out OK. Not knock-em-dead fabulous, but good enough that I felt comfortable and a bit groovy wearing it. Oh, and I did receive quite a few nice compliments during school pick-up (yes it's not all glamourous) which is always nice.