I bought a RTW cowl-neck knit top a few years ago and have always looooved the style of the collar (is a cowl-neck a collar?). Despite having spent many hours searching and keeping my eye out for a similar paper pattern, there just doesn't seem to be one. If there is, I certainly have never come across it.
Anyway, last week I decided I could wait no longer and made it my mission to create a pattern from the store-bought top. The only problem, was that the piece was a bit odd. While the garment was constructed, it really was impossible to make out what was happening. I decided to take it to my sewing class to seek some assistance from my teacher. She suggested we unpick half the collar, trace it off and sew it back up again. That we did. This is what we discovered:
Here is a pattern of the collar. The left-hand edge shows the centre-front.
Here is what the piece looks like pinned into shape. There's a fold in the fabric. The purpose of this is to give a full front, while reducing bulk at the back of the collar.
The back collar is a little floppy. I did identify this on my muslin and scrawled down the changes necessary to alleviate this problem. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the scrawl when I was cutting this fabric out. The next version should be better.
I finished the armholes by attaching a thin strip of fabric and then turning it under. I then sewed it down using a normal straight stitch. I overlocked the hem, turned it under and then sewed it down using a very narrow zigzag. For some reason this fabric did not want to be sewn with a twin needle.
I made this top using a cotton/nylon purchased from The Fabric Store for $6/m during the Christmas holidays. I was immediately drawn to it as it's my absolute favourite colour. It's also a bit 'Metallicus' looking.
I definitely plan to make this top again. I really am very happy with. I love tops with cowls, ruffles and other embellishments as I think they look more feminine and interesting than plain tops.