Sunday, January 22, 2012

Loooovely Lingerie


 I finally finished sewing my first set of lingerie last night and I must say I'm feeling all very pleased with myself. The set has turned out looking really quite lovely indeed.

The lingerie was made using a very sturdy lingerie lycra with a metallic sheen. I used a coordinating lace overlay on the upper section of the bra and centre of the knickers. The lace was originally a stretch lace but overtime had lost all of it's stretch. Given this, I thought using it as an overlay was safest. Also, I've never been fussed on the whole 'see-through lace effect' on the centre  front of knickers. I think some things are best kept a mystery.


The bra was made using a sister-drafted pattern taken from an old-favourite Bendon bra of mine. The knickers were made using a self-drafted pattern created by chopping up my favourite style of knickers. My go-to knickers are a 4-pack boyleg purchased from Big W for $12. I thought $3 was quite a bargain for a TNT pattern. I hemmed the legs using a twin needle.

I purchased all the bits and pieces for the bra from a local lady who has a warehouse full of lingerie supplies. These supplies are all leftovers from her days of making custom lingerie for woman. Quite a good little find I must say!



I do need to perfect a few areas:

Firstly, I needed to get the elastic right on the knickers. I think I need to lengthen the elastic to make sure there is no 'buckling' along the top edge of the knickers. Obviously, this disappears the instant they're on but it would still be nice to get it right.

Secondly, even though this pattern was taken from a well-loved bra I still think it needs some modifications. I think the cup size and underwires are probably a size too small. It does take a wee bit of adjusting to get everything in. I'll definitely have to sort this out before attempting to make a bra in a woven fabric. Hmmmm, imagine all the wonderful creations I could make from all my silk scraps...looooooovely.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, that is beautiful! I love reading about sewing underwear, especially bras, but I'm so terrified to try it myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernice they're gorgeous and once you get the fit spot on there will be no stopping you. I like the way you've used the lace, I agree that some things are 'best left a mystery'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, your clever lady. Making your own underwear is fantastic and that you have a source of fabric is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! What a massive effort! How complicated. I'm gobsmacked. Amazing you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this nice collection !

    Lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! You are so clever... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so pretty! I love the metallic sheen. I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look amazing - and so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so impressive. I just can't imagine being able to do this sort of thing myself! And I'm also with you on the mystery front (well, back too, I guess).

    ReplyDelete