Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Flea Market Bag in Japanese Cotton


This groovy little number was whipped up using the Flea Market Bag by Grand Revival pattern. While on holidays, I traced off a bunch of my younger sister's bag patterns. She has recently taken up sewing and started in the bag department. This is such a great place to start I think. Making a bag is such a fun and satisfying project. They're relatively simple, there's lots of straight sewing, you can practice perfecting neat topstitching but most importantly, there are no fitting issues (sigh). Let's face it, a simple bag matches all body shapes and sizes!


I actually made it for a friend and to be honest, found it very hard to give away once it was done. It was made using the leftovers from this dress. I absolutely adore this fabric - the colour, the texture and the feel. 

Despite time constraints, I forced myself to add a few internal pockets and am glad I did. I added both a zippered pocket and a phone pocket. I lined the bag using leftover fabric from this dress. The pattern calls for a magnetic or buttoned clasp. I omitted this because I think a button closure would be annoying and I didn't have a magnetic clasp on hand. If I make another one for myself, I'd definitely add a magnetic clasp.

Making bags from purposely-purchased fabric can be soooooo expensive. Whenever I make one from leftovers though, I feel like it's a bit of a freebee. Which just adds to the satisfaction.

- internal pocket with zipper - 

- phone pocket embellished with Liberty bias binding -

5 comments:

  1. Love it! That fabric is gorgeous. I use a bag made from that pattern as my everyday handbag and it's great. I need to make a new one though since it's filthy and a bit worn... I will definitely include a zippered inside pocket like you have. Great idea. I used the 'petal tie' version for the straps and like you, leftover fabric, from some blinds we had made :-) I did the button closure which I hardly use, but it is good when I want the contents a little more secure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous and you've done a fantastic job with the extra inside pockets and all! I can see why it was so hard to give it away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comment! I've been doing those 6 different ways post for a few years now, so I am not copying your sister :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool bag ..... I love sewing bags too - very satisfying and room for creativity which you may not necessarily be keen to try on your garments! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely, I can see why it would be difficult to give it up.

    ReplyDelete