Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Tale of Two Tops


Vogue 8669 in red
Kwik sew 3784 in pink

Size 14

Size M graded to L at hips

After playing around with knits for the past few weeks, I finally decided to cast my op-shop fabric aside and cut into the good stuff. Both these tops are made from Marc Jacobs knits that I picked up from The Fabric Store during my trip to Sydney. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about knits so can't give you much information about the fabric. All I can tell you is that it's quite light, quite nice and cotton. 

I'm extremely happy with how the the red one turned out. My seam and hems are very neat and I think the fit is good. 

I'm a tad disappointed in the pink one. My pattern tester with the op-shop fabric was much better. Oh well. I think I need a bit more room between the waist and the hips. Also, I stuffed up the hem a bit by over-stretching it. For some reason I found the fabric in this one a bit more difficult to manage than the red version...which doesn't really make sense. Maybe I was just having an 'off' day. Still, it's wearable and probably only something I (and other sewers) will even notice. 

I did take the best tips from both patterns and applied them to both. I sewed cotton tape into the shoulder seams. I finished the armholes using a self-made facing. The hems and armholes have all been sewn using a twin needle.

Here are a few shots of each top from different views. Click on them if you want a closer look:

- long view -

- back view -

- side view-

- long view -

- back view -

- side view -

12 comments:

  1. Very cute! I wish that I didn't have a fear of sewing knits !! They look great with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernice!
    Great blog :)
    I think you've done a fabulous job. I suck at sewing knits and yours look really professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tops :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a pity you're not sure about the pink one, because it looks very professionally finished in the photo... I would wear it a tonne! And I think I've already admired the red one in your previous post about it, can hardly believe that is op shop fabric! Fabulous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy. I see some lovely tops you've made lately. I think both the tops in this post look great. I love the ruffle detail in the pink one, and the red one is so chic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both tops look great. The v=neckline and the ruffle on the pink one are very flattering. Looks like you are well and truly on your way with knits now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are terrific looking tops. I like both of them, and think your knit sewing is rather impressive. I find knits very tricky, particularly thinner super stretchy ones that drape really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They both look awesome! You'll get so much use out of them. I find that I reach for the knit things I've made so much more often, though mine are all pretty sloppy (on the inside- no one knows but me!) Love your necklaces, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like both tops - such great details. Nice work on the knits learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a knit fabric fanatic. I love love the red top and the pink one, but can understand why you might be disappointed in the latter. Kwik sew patterns often get the wrinkling around the armholes and need a test run.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're on a roll now - I think both tops look great and you'll be able to wear them with so many different things.

    ReplyDelete