Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book Week Bandwagon


Well it seems all those Aussie Mum's with primary-aged children and sewing blogs are posting their Book Week creations this week. I thought I may as well jump on the bandwagon. This is my first Book Week as a parent. I've had many as a teacher.

Meg was off school for two days last week with a cold so we decided we'd use the time to sort out her costume. After listing off about 30 characters and receiving 30 'nos' I was feeling a bit stuck. Finally Paul suggested, 'What about Meg from Meg & Mog'. Perfect! She couldn't get the smile off her face. After all, how many kids get to go dressed up as a character with the same name? She was feeling mighty special.

We went for a trip to Spotlight and she chose black veloury with a silver star print. She also chose silver ribbon for the neckline.


Meg then set about creating her first sewn garment. We used a pattern my sister had taken from a dress of her daughter's a few years ago. She pinned the pattern to the fabric and cut it out carefully. She then sat on my lap and removed the pins and fed the fabric into the machine while I controlled the foot. Great teamwork. She finished up by threading the bow into the neckline. Voila!

I decided I would go as Meg as well. I already owned a black dress and tights so this seemed like a bit of a no-brainer. We made ourselves a couple of hats and brooms and we were set.

I usually walk to work on Wednesdays while Meg scoots. But as we're both feeling a little under the weather and had props to carry, I asked Paul if he could give us a lift.  He replied, 'Why don't you both just fly in?'....hmmm, hilarious!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, that's just too cute! Really. She'll remember this Book Week forever.

    Husbands are HILARIOUS, aren't they? They must all go to comedy school the week before they get married! (Though that 'fly-to-school' joke was quite funny.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big Wow! for Meg, making such a fabulous costume herself. I think the sparkly velour was the perfect choice. I love the brooms. Go team Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Your husband is a card!
    Big congratulations to Meg (and you) for a fabulously beautiful first creation! She will remember this dress in years to come, since she made it herself. Well done!
    Do Mums dress up now too? We didn't have to when mine were in school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn - Mums don't dress up but teachers do. I teach at Meg's school so had to dress up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work - how clever that she made it too!! You both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I greatly admire your pair of Meg costumes, how amazing for smaller Meg to make her own costume in the first year of school! (How exciting to have a sewing daughter already.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute. but I'm glad my days of Hermoine, Pippi Longstocking and magic puddings are over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great first sewing project! Having matching costumes was a fun idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bernice,

    I found this funky blog, thought you might like it!!!

    http://boyswithbanjos.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meg must have felt so special - great job on the costume. I loved the Meg and Mog books when I was little.

    ReplyDelete