- An Unfinished Object -
My 2011 sewing resolution was to focus on dresses (and to attempt knits - attempt only, not necessarily succeed - I'm saving that for 2012). This is where I kicked off - Vogue 8184. My main reason for wanting to sew dresses is that I can't actually buy dresses that fit. Proportionally, I'm all over the shop.
This is my first attempt at a fitted dress and also my first attempt at what I consider grown-up sewing. I actually got all mature and responsible and made a muslin of the bodice, twice. This, as it turns out, was worth it. I had to make so many adjustments to the bodice to get it to fit properly. I'm crazy happy with the fit. (It is a bit snug but the jogging regime I'm on should fix that soon enough). The only thing that threw a spanner into the works was that I made my muslin out of cotton poplin and then chose to make the dress out of a cotton that contained elastane...bit silly really, a bit naive. I needed to take it in quite a bit to compensate for the stretch. Fortunately, this only affected the sideseams.
I'm yet to finish this dress. I still need to hand sew the bodice lining in place. I'm waiting for my overlocker to get fixed so I can tidy up the edges before doing this. I don't have quite enough length on the bodice lining to turn it under in some parts. I also need to add a hook & eye above the zipper.
- Long view, front -
I cut out the straight skirt than added 2.5cm to each side, front and back, to create a slightly a-lined skirt. This I hope, is more suited to my wide hips.
- Long view, back -
(still needs a hook & eye)
My first attempt at an invisible zipper - far from perfect.
- Long view, side -
I know this this may sound strange, but I'll have to save this dress for late Autumn and Winter. The fabric in the dress is quite thick and the small amount of elastane makes it far too hot for tropical summers. Even if I start the day with a cardy, it will be off by 10am.