Additions: Giraffe in pocket on left, cargo pocket on right
Back view: A double butt pocket, mismatched buttons
Once again I have made Burda 9793. This has definitely become by go-to pattern for the boys. Such a winner!
These pants were sewn out of necessity. Why? Well, it will not stop raining here - all day, every day. Just to put it in perspective for you, we had 1080.2mm of rain in the month of February and it's still falling. The result of this (apart from mould growing on every surface) is that the mosquitos have reached plague proportions. We have to dodge the ambush every time we leave the house. It's man verses beast!
Which brings me back to the pants. The kids need some serious coverage. Pants like these not only stop the bites, but also mean I have to use less of the nasty spray on them. More coverage = less chemicals. The pants have to be lightweight too, as it is still hot.
I actually made these from an old pair of linen pants I used to have. The fabric was fine, but the leg bottoms were all ripped (because I'd been to lazy to hem them) and they were a bit stained. I kept the side pockets and added the front cargo pockets. I sewed on a giraffe and rectangular patch over the unsightly stains. I didn't bother removing the back pockets as I was worried they'd be a bit perforated which explains the odd double-butt pocket. One button was missing which I simply replaced with an orange one (I only had one) to match the giraffe.
We had to take these photos in about 10 seconds. The mozzies detected all that bare skin and the sweet smell of young blood within no time. Nasty blood-sucking beasts!