Monday, November 22, 2010

:: pins & needles -Skirt with Slouchy Pockets

Burda 8281 (skirt)
Vogue  8552 (pockets)


-  cotton drill in groovy red/orange pattern -

Last night I sewed myself a new skirt using Burda 8281. I feel like I haven't sewed much for myself lately and after weeks of renovations, birthday preparations & celebrations, Christmas sewing and school report cards it was time for a bit of ME sewing.

I'm not sure what happened during the cutting stage, but I ended up with a super tight fit once I sewed up  the side seams. In the past I must have added width. This important piece of info had clearly not stuck in my memory. To add to the drama, I had overlocked the side seams so didn't have any room to move whatsoever. The only option was to add a strip to each side. I figured it would get hidden in the pattern and behind the pockets which it has. Phew.

I added the slouchy pockets from Vogue 8552 which I recently sewed on this dress. I LOVE these pockets. They're roomy, groovy and fabulous for hiding hands in when I don't feel like holding hands with 7 year olds on playground duty at work (some days I just don't want to, you know).



- close up of front -


- close up of back -
- I omitted the waistband and opted for self-made bias binding instead, ending in a tie at the CB -

Overall, I'm super happy with this skirt and think it looks great. At first I thought the pockets may have created this look:



but after wearing it around today I've got over that.

6 comments:

  1. It looks nothing like that horrendous get-up!

    I love the fabric and pockets! They're pretty groovy!

    I could imagine you'd be the favourite hand to be held for any seven-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pockets turned out really well. I love your spotty fabric...very retro-groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever save. I love Japanese cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! I love it. I'm going to look up that pattern specifically for the pockets. And I know exactly what you mean about sometimes just not wanting to hold hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great skirt. And I love the fabric - where did you get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rachel. The fabric is from Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete