Burda 8281 (skirt)
Vogue 8552 (pockets)
- cotton drill in groovy red/orange pattern -
Last night I sewed myself a new skirt using Burda 8281. I feel like I haven't sewed much for myself lately and after weeks of renovations, birthday preparations & celebrations, Christmas sewing and school report cards it was time for a bit of ME sewing.
I'm not sure what happened during the cutting stage, but I ended up with a super tight fit once I sewed up the side seams. In the past I must have added width. This important piece of info had clearly not stuck in my memory. To add to the drama, I had overlocked the side seams so didn't have any room to move whatsoever. The only option was to add a strip to each side. I figured it would get hidden in the pattern and behind the pockets which it has. Phew.
I added the slouchy pockets from Vogue 8552 which I recently sewed on this dress. I LOVE these pockets. They're roomy, groovy and fabulous for hiding hands in when I don't feel like holding hands with 7 year olds on playground duty at work (some days I just don't want to, you know).
- close up of front -
- close up of back -
- I omitted the waistband and opted for self-made bias binding instead, ending in a tie at the CB -
Overall, I'm super happy with this skirt and think it looks great. At first I thought the pockets may have created this look:
but after wearing it around today I've got over that.