Friday, November 26, 2010

:: pins & needles - Ruffles, Bows & Flowers

Simplicity 2599


A few days ago I sewed another version (version 1 here) of Simplicity 5706 (with dart variations). This time I made the version with the ruffle and bow along the neckline. I think this is quite a cute top. Even though I'd intended to use it for casual wear, I think in black it can definitely upgraded to evening wear if needed.

The fabric is a cotton/silk voile from Tessuti fabrics. I didn't actually realise how sheer it was until I was sewing it. This really came to my attention after looking back at the photos. Although it was not part of the original plan, I have to wear a camisole underneath. Due to it's sheerness, I used french seams along the side seams, bias binding around the armholes, a rolled hem along the hemline and reduced the width of the neck facing to ensure it was hidden by the ruffles.

- ruffle and bow detail -

- I have not sewn down the ribbon. I plan to attach it to a brooch pin so it can be removed for washing. I think having it permanently attached would be an ironing nightmare -

This was my first real attempt at using my overlocker for rolled hems. I used it to finish the edges of the ruffles. They look beautiful if I do say so myself. So easy.

- flower headband -


The flower headband was made using scraps. It is actually a practise-run for a flower pin I have planned for another top. I made it using this tutorial from Made by Lex. I think the flower may be a little too flat for what I had in mind. I thought I'd have another go using this tutorial by Suzannah from Adventures in Dressmaking to see which one works best. 

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, look how much you've learned...french seams, bias binding, rolled hems...you are not a beginner any more! That's a really special top, looks fabulous. Your makeup looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this top! The headband looks really gorgeous with it too. I really must get this pattern - that neckline is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely top. The ruffles are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed. I love the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sheerness of the fabric. It definitely could be for evening. Your rolled hems look great! I desperately want an overlocker so I can do rolled hems.

    ReplyDelete