A few days ago I sewed another version (version 1 here) of Simplicity 5706 (with dart variations). This time I made the version with the ruffle and bow along the neckline. I think this is quite a cute top. Even though I'd intended to use it for casual wear, I think in black it can definitely upgraded to evening wear if needed.
The fabric is a cotton/silk voile from Tessuti fabrics. I didn't actually realise how sheer it was until I was sewing it. This really came to my attention after looking back at the photos. Although it was not part of the original plan, I have to wear a camisole underneath. Due to it's sheerness, I used french seams along the side seams, bias binding around the armholes, a rolled hem along the hemline and reduced the width of the neck facing to ensure it was hidden by the ruffles.
- ruffle and bow detail -
- I have not sewn down the ribbon. I plan to attach it to a brooch pin so it can be removed for washing. I think having it permanently attached would be an ironing nightmare -
This was my first real attempt at using my overlocker for rolled hems. I used it to finish the edges of the ruffles. They look beautiful if I do say so myself. So easy.
- flower headband -
The flower headband was made using scraps. It is actually a practise-run for a flower pin I have planned for another top. I made it using this tutorial from Made by Lex. I think the flower may be a little too flat for what I had in mind. I thought I'd have another go using this tutorial by Suzannah from Adventures in Dressmaking to see which one works best.