Thursday, September 30, 2010

:: pins & needles - Mastering Casual (My Creative Space)

My Creative Space - Here's what I've been working on:

Vogue 8552

- styled with elk necklace -


- a tad crushed after a morning in the park -

- strangely, the blemishes on my knees are a perfect match (I didn't know I even had blemishes on my knees) -

Last weekend I was visiting my sister who lives 4.5 hours away. Rather than waving us goodbye, she had to make an early departure to catch a flight to her high school reunion. I remember her departing words clearly, "Do you need anything?". Well, that's just an open invitation now isn't it. Hmmm, what do I 'need'?  I decided I needed the dress she was wearing. But rather than steal the dress right off her back, so to speak, I stealthily pinched the pattern from which the dress was made. I figured I could take it home, trace it, photograph the instructions and have it in the post and back to her before she recovered from her post-reunion hangover.

So that night, after the long drive home I did just that and more. I had most of the dress sewn while she was still dirty dancing with her ex-boyfriends to hits of the 80s.

I love this dress. I especially love the oversized, slouchy pockets. Also, I'm a sucker for all things red.  The dress was sewn using a 'red' cotton/linen blend. It actually appears pink because the fabric contains interwoven red and white threads.

My sister and I once had a conversation about 'mastering casual'.  When you live in the tropics and are (mostly) a SAHM you gotta 'master casual' and I think this dress nails it!

Check out more creativity at My Creative Space at Kootoyoo.

6 comments:

  1. I love the dress looks great on you! I love your Elk necklace too- I have some Elk of my own.

    I live in the country and it is the same- you ahve to master casual here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! I can't believe you made it so quickly. The fabric is a really pretty colour. I should have swapped you...my dress for the elk necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that dress too. I feel tha same way about your necklace.

    When I lived in Mossman, I remember the women I worked with telling me they never wore underpants because they found it too hot!

    I'm not sure if they were telling the truth or just freaking prudish-me out! And I was in no position to check the truthfulness of their claims.

    I never followed their fashion choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a lovely job! Looks so good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your sister's too. Love both of them. Don't Elk made the best jewellery? I have a red wooden necklace and matching giant ring that I wear to death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, I love the colour on you!

    ReplyDelete