Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ahoy, me hearty!







Dress-ups has entered our lives with gusto. Meg, Monty and their friends are right in the thick of magical & mystical characters and the glorious make-up stories that go along with them. The girls in my life seem to be quite well catered for with their dress-up costumes. The boys not so much. And so, for my playgroup Secret Santa present I decided to sew our little mate Geordie a pirate costume.

The red & white t-shirt was a bargain find and perfect for the job. I was really quite stoked when I found it! The vest, sash and waistcoat were all sewn out of cotton drill - 100% cotton, robust & cheap, perfect!

The design of the sash is a bit cool. I wanted Geordie to be able to put on and take off the costume independently, so the tie to the side (your right) is actually fake. The sash itself, actually joins with some velcro on the opposite side.

The hat is sewn from both standard and super-stiff felt. I borrowed from this  design, but had to alter it to suit the size of the fabric I had. Way cool!


Here is the ever-delightful Meg modeling for me.

2 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous costume - what a lucky kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulous! You have put a lot of thought into making this costume kid-friendly. Love the pirate face!

    ReplyDelete