Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Out-and-About Car Bag

My 2 year old son always likes to take a handful of matchbox cars out and about with him. Rather than constantly juggling them and leaving stray ones behind, I decided it was time to make a little bag to carry them in. My siblings and I had a lego bag similar in design when I was a child. It was a large, flat, denim circle containing all the lego that acted as a bag, storage and playmat. I decided to take it one step further and add a car track, pond and a few other features. My husband decided I should take it one step further again and go 3D adding mountains and a bridge. Here are the results:














The original bag had the cord running through eyelets. Doing that meant a whole new trip to the fabric store so I went with ribbon instead. This turned out to be a blessing as the cord runs much more smoothly through the ribbon. I used a large washer raided from my husband's workshed to hold the bag closed. A washer is easy for 2 year old fingers to manage.

Overall, it has been quite a hit and very convenient. I don't think we have lost a single car since!

1 comment:

  1. totally COOL!
    Do you have a tutorial for this? or was it a one-time deal?
    - dana
    danawillard@gmail.com
    www.dana-made-it.com

    ReplyDelete